Share

Press Releases

A Nation with No Border

f t # e
Washington, DC, May 14, 2021 | comments

We’ve all seen the headlines and footage about the ongoing crisis on our southern border.

Last week, along with several House Republican colleagues, I had the opportunity to visit the San Diego and Yuma sectors to assess the situation on the ground for myself. I’ve been to the border many times over three presidential administrations, but I have never seen anything like the #BidenBorderCrisis. This is both a humanitarian catastrophe and a national security nightmare, and I’d like to share some of what I learned and saw on my trip.

One thing to remember is that what occurs on the border does not stay at the border. It impacts the entire country. When the border is in chaos, as it is now, ALL states in the continental U.S. are de facto border states as the flood of illegal migrants are released into the interior. This affects us all!

As I’ve detailed in previous newsletters, President Biden’s reckless actions have entirely reversed the tremendous progress made by President Trump in securing the border.

For example, after President Biden halted construction of the border wall on his first day in office, the sectors without wall barriers developed into dangerously vulnerable points routinely exploited by “coyotes” (human smugglers often working for the drug cartels) and illegal border crossers. The cartels and their “coyote” smugglers have become brazen since President Trump left office. They confidently scout out openings and weak points in BROAD DAYLIGHT!

President Biden has referred to the border wall as “a waste of money” and “not a serious policy solution,” yet I saw (with my own eyes!) that the wall works. It gives our Border Patrol agents a buffer against the influx of migrants illegally crossing our border in droves. Every agent I spoke with reported that the sectors with the wall are the quietest and safest parts of the border!

In fact, in one section, agents constructed a temporary, makeshift wall to give themselves relief. If walls don’t work, as Democrats claim, why would our brave Border Patrol agents feel the need to build a barrier on their own initiative?

Our U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and Border Patrol agents are spread dangerously thin because of the massive wave of migrants. In the Yuma sector, roughly 80 percent of agents were busy simply processing migrants, leaving just 20 percent of agents who were available to do their actual job of guarding the border!

There’s a fundamental misconception that all the incoming migrants are from Central American countries. I personally witnessed the apprehension of a group of illegal immigrants from Romania in Eastern Europe! In another area, Border Patrol agents had apprehended a group of Iranians the night before! Border security is national security, and this unsecured border has opened Americans to dangerous actors from across the globe.

Migrants being apprehended after illegally crossing the border and those who manage to escape past our agents into the interior are only part of the crisis. Make no mistake: the drug cartels are a dangerous, intelligent, and well-funded enemy. They are using this catastrophe on the border to maximum advantage. The cartel coyotes use migrants as a distraction to smuggle dangerous narcotics into the United States. I was able to see firsthand a car that drug smugglers had equipped to carry 50 kilograms of narcotics.

These are only some of the highlights of the nightmare I witnessed last week. Folks, this crisis is real and it’s continuing to get worse.

It is simply mindboggling that President Biden and Vice President Harris have allowed the situation to deteriorate so rapidly. They inherited a stable and secure border – an inheritance they squandered.

In March, Vice President Harris was tasked with leading the effort to handle our southern border crisis, yet she hasn’t even bothered to see the border with her own eyes. The solution is very straightforward: reimplement all of Donald Trump’s immigration policies!

I remain committed to shining the spotlight on this crisis in the hopes of pressuring the Biden Administration to get serious about resolving it.

###

f t # e

Connect with Jody

Sign up to get a newsletter straight to your inbox

Help with a Federal Agency

One of the most important things I do as a U.S. Representative is help people with federal problems. Although I cannot override the decisions made by a federal agency, I can often intervene on a person’s behalf to answer questions, find solutions, or just cut through the red tape. Please know that I cannot force an agency to act in favor of a constituent. However, I can help communicate the circumstances and request that they take appropriate actions to assist you. Click here for more information.